Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Update on Batman

It's with a sad heart that I send out this email, and I'm sure I'm forgetting someone so feel free to send it on to anyone who is following Batman's Case.I would make and answer every phone call, but this news is so fresh and I can't get through explaining it. For that I apologize.



Today's Diagnosis:
1. Severe Pulmonic Stenosis
2. Cor Triatriatum dexter
3. Right to Left shunting atrial septal defect

Descriptions as they were explained to me:

1. Severe Pulmonic Stenosis : Basically he has a valve that blood should be flowing through. But...right now it's like a hose that's turned on, with someone's finger over the hole. This has caused a VERY thick membrane to form over it.

2. Cor Triatriatum dexter: Where the blood flows from the bottom half of his body through the heart is normal. Where it flows from the upper half is running into a partition that shouldn't be there.

3. Right to Left Shunting Atrial Septal Defect: His Blue & Red Blood is mixing causing the lack of Oxygen

Doc's Notes:
As a result of these defects, Batman's heart has become significantly enlarged,
which is the likely explanation for his clinical signs & poor growth.
Unfortunately, these conditions will likely limit his lifespan by putting him at
risk for heart failure or sudden death. He can be treated surgical by
positioning a balloon catheter across the defects and inflating the balloon
across the narrowed areas. While potentially successful, these balloon
procedures can be associated with significant risk, especially given the degree
of thickening and associated flow abnormalities.
What he said to me:
"Batman is basically a 'Genetic Lemon'. We can try surgery but there is a strong
chance he may not come out well due to the membrane build-up. We can also try
medication. The bad part is....no matter what we do, Surgically or with
Medication, he will not have a long life span. He will need a home where he has
access to constant medical care. If I decide to put him down, he will understand
and no one will throw stones..."
So...I have some thinking to do. Do I even put him through a surgery? Do I try to make it perfect when that is just not possible for him? Or do I let him go so that he never knows the pain that comes along with heart failure... which is probably the hardest thing to do. I have to decide what would be better for the B-Man in the long run. My heart is in so much pain...especially because he's the sweetest, most loving little pup I think I've EVER met. This is the part of Rescue that I hate. Playing 'God'. But I cannot be selfish and will make the only decision that will be better for him.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Thank you for adoring Batman as much as I do. Thank you for your contribution's to help make him better, all of you in so many different ways. Thank you for the prayers and well wishes. We both love each of you...Batman sends Puppy Breath Filled Smooches...

No comments:

Post a Comment